Bulgaria Car Rental
Bulgaria Car Rental Guide
With many unique attractions, such as Rila Monastery, Belogradchik Rocks, and Nessebar Village, Bulgaria is a popular destination with tourists and business travelers alike. Whether you’re visiting for only a few days or staying for a month or more, an Enterprise rental car allows you to travel at your own pace. Get your trip started by searching the map or browsing the locations below.
How to rent a car in Bulgaria?
If you'd like to rent a car in Bulgaria, you must have:
- A valid driver's license that has been held for at least one year.
- A valid credit card in the driver's name.
- Note: military driving licences are not accepted.
How old do you have to be to rent a car in Bulgaria?
All drivers must be 21 years of age or older to rent a car in Bulgaria. The maximum driver's age for all car classes is 75. Please see age policy details below.
- Cars available for rent include Mini and Economy.
- Cars available for rent include Compact, Intermediate, Standard, and Full-size.
A young driver's fee of 3.60 EUR per day will apply to all drivers age 21 - 22 for Compact, Intermediate, Standard, and Full-size car classes.
Can I take my rental car to nearby countries?
Yes, you may drive the rental car to certain countries outside of Bulgaria. Cross-border travel is permitted to Albania, Belgium, Bosnia, Greece, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, Luxembourg, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Portugal, Sweden, Croatia, Italy, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Serbia, Czech Republic, North Macedonia, Hungary, Spain, and Switzerland.
Out of country rentals require prior approval and are charged an extra 6 EUR per day with an additional fee of 60 EUR fee for a green card. Fees quoted are inclusive of VAT and are subject to change.
Do I need a car in Bulgaria?
Renting a car in Bulgaria will allow for a flexible travel schedule. Travelers often rave about the smaller, outlying areas of Bulgaria, away from commercialized cities like Sofia. A rental car is especially helpful if you plan visiting these towns or the mountains, as public transit does not run here.
Tips for driving in Bulgaria
During your trip to Bulgaria, keep the following driving info in mind:
- You must have your headlights on at all times, day and night.
- It is illegal to honk your horn in urban areas from 10 pm - 6 am other than to prevent an accident.
- Always park on the left on one-way streets (where parking is permitted.)
- Do not use red pumps at the gas station, as they are intended for service vehicles only.